How Long Do Golf Cart Batteries Last? – Maintenance Tips
A golf cart is a useful thing to own. Electric-powered golf carts are user friendly and cause less harm to the environment, making it an effective means of transportation on and off the golf course. But like all other vehicles, these carts still require maintenance. This article will talk about how long do golf cart batteries last and how we can maintain it better.
Things You Need to Know About Golf Cart Battery Life
An electric golf cart runs on batteries, not fuel. And yes, it has a lot of advantages. Before knowing how long do golf cart batteries last, let’s first talk about a few things that make electric carts unique.
Benefits of An Electric Golf Cart
It's no surprise that you chose an electric golf cart. Getting used to batteries may take time, but there are other great things about this vehicle:
- Electric golf carts are quieter, which makes it a perfect choice for residential communities as well.
- You need less time to maintain an electric golf cart:
They don't need oil
You have fewer components to replace
It doesn't need fuel
Few parts to change over time
- An electric cart's battery can last up to 10 years, depending on maintenance.
- Golfing is more convenient with an electric golf cart because it eliminates the need to add fuel constantly.
Maintenance Tips for Your Golf Cart Batteries
Batteries power your electric golf cart, so before investing in one, it's reasonable to ask yourself, how long do golf cart batteries last?
A well-maintained battery lasts between 8 to 10 years. Here are some things you can do to make that a reality:
Don't overcharge your batteries.
- use an automatic battery charger that switches off when the battery is full.
- in the absence of an automatic charger, check on your battery regularly when charging and switch it off as soon as it is finished.
Don't drive until your cart batteries die.
- Before taking your cart out, charge your batteries first.
- Near empty or empty batteries are damaging in the long run.
Avoid long distances and steep slopes.
- Be cautious about the distance traveled, so you don't empty your batteries.
- Using it on steep hills will drain the battery faster and leave you stranded.
- Use a trailer or a truck to bring your cart when traveling longer distances.
Do monthly maintenance on your cart.
- Wipe down your batteries.
- Check water levels on your electric cart.
- Batteries that are not checked can corrode overtime.
- Bring your cart to a facility for a tuneup.
Avoid using the radio when you're not using it.
- Electric components in your cart must be switched off when it is no longer in use.
- Components that are switched on an idle cart will drain the battery.
A golf cart battery replacement can cost as much as $1500, which is why knowing how long do golf cart batteries last, and knowing how to make them last will save you a lot of money.