What Is The Size Of A Golf Ball
Golf balls may all look the same, but the truth is they are not all the same. They don't come in various shapes and sizes and always look the same with its white dull aesthetic, yet that does not mean that all balls are the same. So, what is the size of a golf ball? What is it made of? Let's find out.
Different Types of Golf Balls
There are different types of golf balls based on how it is constructed, and each is explicitly created for a specific manner of play.
- One-piece - This type of golf ball is usually used on driving ranges golf courses. It is built from one material, which is a solid sphere of Surlyn with molded dimples. The one-piece ball is cheaper, plus it does not travel nearly as far as balls of another construction due to their lower compression.
- Two-piece - This type of ball has durability as well as distance combined. It is typically built of solid core, which is sturdy rubber enclosed in the ball's cover made of Surlyn or softer urethane.
- Three-piece - It is built of a solid rubber center enclosed by a layer of improved liquid rubber, and held in a softer, artificial plastic cover. The ball lets golfers have an even softer feel, more spin, and better control around the fields.
- Four-piece - A combination of two-piece and three-piece feel. It's made of a soft rubber core, offering added distance enveloped in two separate layers to serve spin. The urethane cover is the thinnest layer that gives the soft feel. This golf ball provides something called "spin separation," wherein the additional layers are only initiated when the player reaches an adequately fast swing speed.
- Five-piece - Is a new concept that was developed last 2009. The science behind it is the same as the four-piece. The extra layer suggests more spin separation and facilitates compression to be staggered to maximize performance. It's made of super soft urethane covering, which assures that the ball remains spinny and responsive on short shots.
Golf Ball – Diameter, Circumference, Height, and Mass
The standard size of a golf ball regulated in the Rules of Golf by the USGA and R & A can be no smaller than 1.68 inches in diameter, equal to 268cm. The circumference of a golf ball is 5.277 inches or 13.405 cm. The ball's average width and height is 43mm.
An average golf ball weighs 1.620 ounces (45.93 g), which is the maximum weight allowed for a golf ball is to be used for tournament play.
There are a lot of things a golfer needs to worry about playing the sport. Good thing that they don't have to worry about what is the size of a golf ball that they need to use. Golf balls may not be all the same in terms of weight and construction, but all conform to the game's rules, making it easier for the golfer to choose.